601 South Osprey Avenue
Sarasota, Florida 34236
David E. Gurley is Board Certified in construction law, one of only a small percentage of lawyers statewide to earn this distinction. Lawyers certified in construction law deal with matters relating to the design and construction of improvements on private and public projects, including but not limited to, construction dispute resolution; contract negotiation, preparation, award and administration; lobbying at governmental hearings; oversight and document review; construction scheduling analysis and delay claims; lending and insurance; construction licensing; and the analysis and litigation of problems arising out of Florida's Construction Lien Law, Public Bonding Statutes and the Federal Miller Act.
After receiving his J.D. from Florida State University College of Law, David moved to Sarasota, Florida, where he began his practice in the areas of construction and surety law. He has counseled clients for over 30 years nationwide, and in the Caribbean basin, in the avoidance and resolution of construction and bond claims arising from community, theme park, medical facility, luxury resort, high rise residential, transportation and infrastructure projects.
David was born in Jacksonville, Florida. He is married with five sons and a daughter. He enjoys tennis, sport fishing and motorcycle touring. David is an active community contributor and supporter of such organizations as The Center for Building Hope Cancer Support Community, Habitat for Humanity and various international human rights relief efforts. He is a founding member of the Florida Surety Association Governmental Affairs Committee.
- AV Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized by Chambers & Partners Guide to Leading Business Lawyers and Law Firms in the World
- Recognized by Super Lawyers as a leading Florida Construction & Surety lawyer, consecutive years
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, expertise in Construction Law
Professional and Community Affiliations:
- American Bar Association (Fidelity and Surety Law Committee; Forum Committee on the Construction Law Committee)
- Florida Bar Association
- Sarasota County Bar Association
- Construction Law Institute, Certified Instructor
- National Bond Claims Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Florida Surety Association
- Master, Judge John M. Scheb Inn of Court